May is Better Hearing and Speech Month!
What is Speech Therapy?
- We aim to help children become active language learners, and clear, confident communicators. Speech therapy can improve many speech disorders such as stuttering, Childhood Apraxia of Speech, Dysarthria, sound disorders, and language-based learning difficulties.
5 Facts about Speech
- Our bodies do a lot to communicate verbally! To say a phrase, about 100 muscles of the chest, neck, jaw, tongue, and lips must collaborate.
- Around 2 years of age, your child should have approximately 50 words in their vocabulary and begin putting together 2-word phrases.
- Sign language allows children to begin developing communication skills before they are able to speak. A few simple signs to begin learning are “more” “please” “all done” and “thank you”.
- We assess all areas of speech development including expressive language (speaking and communicating), receptive language (understanding spoken language), pragmatic language (proper social use of language), fluency, articulation, and the oral peripheral speech mechanism.
- Speech therapy at TEAM 4 Kids is very unique compared to other centers. At TEAM 4 Kids, we use play-based methods to create fun sessions for each child. We believe in the TEAM approach. All of our therapists work closely together to provide the best comprehensive care. Having all therapies at TEAM 4 Kids (speech, occupational, physical, feeding, myo, and ABA!) allows the therapists to have access to your child’s complete medical profile. This is what differentiates our therapy from others.
If you are interested in learning more about speech therapy or have any concerns about your child’s development, give us a call at TEAM 4 Kids!