Becoming a Patient Parent
As a parent, there are times when your patience is tested. Everyday tasks can be overwhelming and exhausting at times. There are a handful of tips and resources to help gain more patience and how to better handle those frustrating situations. I will be sharing some tips I’ve learned in my experiences working as a therapist here at Team4Kids on how to maintain patience and expand growth.
- Ask yourself “why”?: it is easy for kids to get frustrated over small things or details, so being able to pinpoint their frustrations will make creating a healthy solution easier.
- Keep perspective: As a therapist, caregiver, or guardian, we always need to keep in mind that we are dealing with children and their emotions in times of frustration.
- Refuel body and mind: proper nourishment of the mind and body can work wonders. Giving your body energy does lighten moods and beams positive energy. Healthy eating can also have positive effects on your child’s behavior!
- Take time for yourself: as much as our kiddos need breaks to surpass goals, we as therapists and parents also need that relaxation component as well. Do something that you find calming.
- Get help when you need it: if you find yourself being overwhelmed in a situation and notice your patience is diminishing for your children, seeking help is also a great alternative option. At TEAM 4 Kids, we can offer advice on dealing with behaviors that may have you feeling stressed.
If you have any concerns with your child’s development, give us a call at TEAM 4 Kids! TEAM 4 Parents is a series of parent education classes designed to help you understand why your child may display certain behavior and what you can do to teach them new behaviors. You will learn science-based methods to make everyday life easier. Join us in person or on Zoom on the last Wednesday of every month at 6:15pm MST. Sign up for the class at www.team4kids.com/sign-up-for-a-class
Lariena Cota, RBT